Catalog Name - "Sacajawea Leading Lewis and Clark to the Pacific Ocean", No. 10073
Sacajawea (c.1787-1812) became one of the most well-known women of the American West through her partnership with Lewis and Clark. In 1800 she was captured by the rival Minnetree tribe and became the wife of Toussaint Charbonneau, a French Canadian trapper. Charbonneau joined the Lewis and Clark Expedition (1803-1806), exploring a route to the Pacific. As a young Shoshone woman with a child, Sacagawea helped ensure native populations that the group of explorers had peaceful intentions. She aided them with her knowledge of the land and local foods and herbs. Her strength and heroism continuously aided the group. In his journal, Clark attributed much of the missions success to her.
Pietro Paulo Caproni (1862-1928) was founder and co-owner of P.P. Caproni & Brother, Boston, Massachusetts, manufacturers of plaster reproductions of classical and contemporary statues. These 'cast' reproductions were, in an era before commercial photography, an integral educational tool in teaching people the history of art and antiquities.
Together with his brother, Emilio, the Caproni brothers supplied art schools, major universities and museums in the United States and abroad with quality reproductions. The firm operated under their ownership between 1892 and 1927, the year the company was sold and a year before Pietro's death.
Rising sculptors of the time sought the expertise of the Caproni studios when creating some of the country's best known civic sculpture. Among them was Cyrus Edwin Dallin, whose Appeal to the Great Spirit and Paul Revere, both of which are standing in Boston, were modeled in the Caproni studios' basement.
When Pietro Caproni arrived in Boston in the 1870s he was apprenticed to Paul A Garey, whose plaster statuary company dated back to 1834.
Pietro and Emilio bought the company in 1892 and quickly starting building a new studio and workspace at 8 Newcomb Street in Roxbury. In 1896 they purchased two brownstone buildings on 1920 Washington Street, and connected all three buildings with a 5,000-square-foot (460 m2) gallery space to showcase their work. By 1900 the two brownstone buildings facing Washington Street were re-faced to appear as one building and an enclosed bridge connected them to the Newcomb Street building behind. The company issued catalogues most every year between 1892 and 1915. Hard-cover catalogues were published in 1901 and 1911, the latter being the largest and most complete catalogue ever published by the company and was used by schools as a guide to identifying antiquities.
Lino Giust bought the Washington Street buildings in 1970 and operated them as the Giust Gallery until his retirement in 1995. Today the buildings are condominium homes.
In 1993, Robert Shure purchased the entire Caproni Collection and the business rights to the Giust Gallery.
The new owner, Robert Shure, a plaster cast and bronze expert, restoration expert, and sculptor in his own right, has recovered many more original vintage Caproni casts and greatly enlarged the collection. The company is now flourishing and has supplemented the cast collections of many locations including the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts and The Jerusalem Studio School in Israel.
Discerning designers and collectors of historical casts are also among those who collect these museum quality castings.
Measures 6' 9" x 3' 8 1/4", 2 1/4" thick at top, widening to 6" thick at bottom.
Call for pricing, 920.232.MOON (6666)